The annual Water City Racket Festival in downtown Oshkosh is produced by the Oshkosh Independent, the area’s premiere local, independent arts and events news outlet. The Oshkosh Independent is:
- Oshkosh’s locally owned and operated news outlet
- Promoters of local music, art and original creativity
- Supporters of local, independent business
- Collaborators with local nonprofits on marketing and education
- Advocates for a better community
The Oshkosh Independent produces the following:
- The daily online magazine www.oshkoshindependent.com
- Five annual full-color Oshkosh Independent Magazines.
- Oshkosh Music, a website and social media platform dedicated to promoting local musicians, the venues that support live music, and music education.
- Independent Racket Nights original music series
- Racket Fest Radio on 101.9fm Oshkosh.
We have been proud to support local programs of importance, including our current collaborative role as media partner with the Oshkosh Youth Symphony. Our music education support to date has raised over $10,000, thanks in large part to the tremendous support of Heid Music and generous community partners.
Water City Racket Festival enters year 2 in 2019 with three days of original music featuring 23 music artists performing nearly 30 sets in downtown Oshkosh.
2019 will expand from the Manila Resto / Algoma Club headquarters to include:
- A new Lisen & Learn series at the Oshkosh Public Library Saturday AM.
- A partnership with the Oshkosh Farmers Market to share the music of Racket Fest musicians at the Saturday morning market at the Menominee Nation Arena.
- A Thursday evening kick-off show at Fletch’s Tap House. Fletch’s is also hosting Racket Fest music Saturday for lunch.
- Late night sessions Friday (Peabody’s) and Saturday (Reptile Palace)
2019 will also see an expansion of the radius that Racket Fest draws for musical talent, with musicians joining the Oshkosh community from cities outside of the Fox Valley including Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Mankato.
Racket Fest year 1 poster, by Offbeat Press.